21 Things I've Learnt in 21 Years

August 27, 2018


So I've just turned 21 and I have been reminiscing over the most important things that I have learnt in my 21 years of life. 

1. Everything happens for a reason 

Whether you think it at the time or not, everything really does happen for a reason. Things will always work themselves out. And honestly, what's for you won't pass you, so don't stress the small stuff too much. It will all be okay.



2. Being nice costs nothing 

In this day and age it costs absolutely nothing to be nice to other people. We can never truly know how other people are feeling inside, so being nice to everyone is a sure way to ensure that you are brightening someones day, even if it is just a little bit.
A smile is all it could take. 


3. Be kind 

Be kind as often as you can.

I have learnt over the past few years that this does not have to mean by buying people presents or materialistic things. It could really be as simply as giving someone advice, or just being there for someone if they need it.
And trust me this will be reciprocated. 

4. Respect others 

It is not hard to be respectful. Whether I particularly like a person or not, I will always respect them and their happiness. Good manners will also get you far in life. Don't make life harder for anyone. 


5. Stand up for what you believe in 

If you have a strong opinion on a topic of interest and someone is trying to degrade that, stand up! Your opinion matters just as much as the next person's does. You are important.


6. Be your own best friend 

Treat yourself! Be kind to yourself, you are the only constant in your life.
I have learnt this in so many ways. I know myself that I sometimes need time to my self, to get myself together. 
Be there for yourself and help yourself.


7. Don't stress over things that won't matter one year from now 

This is something that I am learning to life my life by. I tend to stress the small stuff, get worked up over things that don't matter and hold grudges. However, living life with this rule helps me to analyse my thoughts and realise that, there's no time to hold grudges. Get up, dust yourself off and get over it!!


8. If you want something, make it happen

Things don't happen by magic. If you want something you need to take actions to ensure that this happens for you. 
I love seeing this happen for other people. It's inspiring when I see people setting a goal, working for it, and achieving it!
You can do anything!


9. If you have a problem, talk about it 

Many things this year have taught me that it is so important to talk about how you are feeling. 
A problem shared is a problem halved.
Things can build up in our heads if we don't talk about them and get them out. 
I hate the thought of someone feeling like they couldn't talk about the way they where feeling, especially when they are so down about things. 
Hearing about people taking their own lives and the people closest to them not knowing anything about how they were feeling is honestly heartbreaking. 
It is sad that in 2018 people still feel this stigma about talking about feelings, especially boys.
I have learnt that if I have a problem, no matter how small I think it is, it is still important to get it off my chest and talk about it.
People are there to listen to you! And if they aren't willing to listen, get rid of them. 


10. Be brave 

Come out of your comfort zone. Do things you would have never imagined doing due to weariness or fear (to an extent obviously). 
If you have that one thing in your head that you have always wanted to do but won't because you are scared of what people will say, JUST DO IT!
This thing for me within the last year was blogging! 
I had wanted to start my blog for so long but didn't because I was so scared, but this year I finally took the plunge and just did it, and honestly it has been such a great thing for me. 
Some people might have somethings to say, but honestly, who cares?? 



11. Nobody actually cares about what you are doing, so you do you boo

Leading on from the last one, you do you boo!! 
I have learnt that in this self obsessed society we are living in, no one cares about what you are doing! We are all too obsessed with what we are doing ourselves to care about what others are doing.
So wear what you want, do what you want and be who you want! 


12. Don't take people for granted 

You may have people in you life that you feel will always be there because you haven't known anything different, but always appreciate them, because at some stage they may not be there anymore. 
I find that I can get so used to someone always being there that I can forget to show they how grateful I am for them. It's just nice to be appreciated every now and again. 
So this is now something I make a priority, show people how happy and grateful you are for them. 


13. Experience as much as you can

We are still young, we have so much time in our lives to experience things.
I have learnt that, I want to experience as much things in this world as possible.
For instance, travelling and seeing things. 
I kick started this this summer when I went travelling around Europe for 3 weeks and my experience was just amazing and has really helped to open my mind up about other places I want to see.
Travelling is beautiful and honest one of the best things you will do. 


14. You deserve the love you give to others 

Love others how you want to be loved. 
If you are not giving back what you are receiving why should the other person bother? 
Give out as much love as you can, it will make the world a happier place and you a happier person. 


15. Laughter is the key to happiness 

Finding someone who makes you laugh is the best feeling in the world. Don't always be so serious, take time out to just laugh with people you love.
For me, finding someone who truly makes me laugh so much has been the key to my happiness over the past few years, and especially the last year.



16. When you think you're at rock bottom, it only goes up from there 

When you're at low points in you life, you can honestly feel that it is never going to get better, but trust me, it only goes up from there. 
There may have been stages in life where you feel you are not good enough for anyone or that you are worthless. But once you find the source of that unhappiness and get rid of it and start to find happiness in things, you will start to get better and eventually be at the best stage of your life, which is where I believe I am now.


17. It's ok to not be perfect 

It's normal to make mistakes and not be perfect, no one is! 
I have learnt to accept that I can't be a perfect person, mistakes happen and things in life go wrong. But that does not make me a failure!
People will love you for you and how you are now. 
However, I have also learnt that it is normal to want to better yourself to grow as a person. 


18. Tanning can boost your mood by 1000

A little more light hearted one. TANNING. 

If you are ever feeling down about yourself, I highly recommend a night in to yourself, face mask, hair washed, and a fresh tan. 
I honestly believe this can boost anyones confident and make you feel 10x more beautiful in your skin. 
I don't really know why, but it works!

(I have a blog post on my routine - view it here).


19. Grades aren't everything 

Again, we can't all be perfect and we also can't be something we aren't. 
If there is something you just can do, leave it behind. 

Grades are such a big concern on so many teenagers minds, while they may be important to some people, they are so not worth stressing over! There are sooo many ways to get where you want nowadays. This is definitely something I wish I knew when I was in secondary school.
(Oh and also, it's fine to go back a year, don't be ashamed! I did it and it worked out as one of the best things I done for myself.) 

Work as hard as you are able, but never feel like you aren't good enough because of the grades you get at school, they mean nothing and do not define you as a person. 


20. Toxic relationships come in many forms, get rid of them

People often would read 'toxic relationships' and think of it in a boyfriend/girlfriend concept. However, this is certainly not always the case.
Friends can also be toxic to you. Any relationship/friendship that makes you feel more unhappy than happy or make you feel down, is a toxic relationship.

Toxic people are not worth your time.

It is also not a personal attack on anyone. To say someone is a toxic person to you, does not mean you are saying that they are toxic to everyone they meet. It just means that they were not for you. 


Removing this from your live will make you so much happier.


21. Take pictures 

One of my favourites, take loads of pictures!! 

I am a visually impressed person.

I like to be able to picture a scenario when I remember it, so by taking pictures it means that I will always be able to visually remember a good time in my life. 

I also love to upload pictures to social media and I then see this a diary, showcasing all my best moments.

However, it is important to remember that social media is just the 'best bits' of peoples lives and they are not always as perfect as there social media makes their lives out to be, so don't dwell too much. 





Thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed this blog post about some life lessons i have learnt throughout the years.

Lots of love,
Siobhan McKerr x 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.