Interrailing Series - Route and Booking

March 20, 2018


I wanted to share my plans for summer with you and a massive part of my summer this year is going to be travelling around Europe with Interrail for 3 weeks, and so I thought I should make it into it's own series. 
This was mainly due to the fact that when I was planning and booking my trip there was many questions I had that I couldn't find answers to anywhere on the internet, so I will be doing posts on certain aspects on the trip, with all needed information to make planning and booking and interrail trip a lot easier, starting with the Route and Booking aspects. 

Our Route

Belfast -> Amsterdam -> Prague -> Krákow -> Budapest -> Paris -> Brussels -> Amsterdam -> Belfast



Why we chose these places...

Amsterdam - Amsterdam has always been a place that has attracted me. The city looks beautiful and is full of museums and history, such as of course, the Anne Frank House, which I have always wanted to visit. The city itself to me gives off such good vibes and seems like a place that could instantly make you feel at home. I can't wait to tick it off my bucketlist! We will be staying in Amsterdam first for 3 nights.

Image result for amsterdam Image result for the anne frank museum

Prague - We will then travel to Prague where we will stay for 4 nights. Prague again looks like a beautiful scenic city, so lots of pictures will be taken here! I won't lie, a main factor as to why we are going to Prague is because of the cheap booze and great nightlife! But again, it has been a city I have wanted to do a city break to, so it made sense to do it now while we are close!

Image result for prague

Krákow - Next up is Krákow, where we will be staying for 3 nights. Krákow holds a lot of history as well with the concentration camps and what happened there. I am looking forward to going to visit them and see the conditions the people where in there. Many people recommended Krákow to me due to how lovely and warm it is in summer time and there's nothing I love more than sun! (I even have one tattooed on me lol.)


Image result for krakow town square


Budapest - We are then travelling to Budapest by overnight train, where we will stay for only 1 night. My main reason for visiting Budapest is to experience those amazing, gorgeous baths and have a soak. I think this one night stay will be very peaceful and refreshing.

Image result for budapest Image result for budapest baths


Paris - From Budapest we are taking an overnight train to Paris to stay for 2 nights. I have visited Paris before just 2 years ago, but I have to go back! 1. Because it was an amazing city and I loved it! But mainly because 2. I haven't been to DisneyLand Paris yet! I can't wait to return!

Image result for paris Image result for disneyland paris

Brussels - Next is Brussels, where we plan to spend another 2 nights here. Brussels is just one to get out of the way for us really as it is on the route back to Amsterdam. Nothing really attracted us here but I'm sure we will find lots to do when we get there. 


Image result for brussels


So to summarise , we will be flying from Belfast to Amsterdam where we will stay for 3 nights and will then get the train to Prague. We will stay in Prague for 4 nights then get the train to Krákow and stay there for 3 nights. We will then get an overnight train from Krákow to Budapest and stay there for 1 night only. We will get another overnight train to Paris and will be staying there for 2 nights. We will travelling again by train to Brussels sioand also stay there for 2 nights. We will make our finally train journey to Amsterdam and stay for another 2 nights before flying home to Belfast. 

Booking 

So, we decided to book an interrail pass through https://www.interrail.eu/en, rather than paying for trains separately as we just thought this way will be a lot less complicated for us being beginners. 

The pass that we decided to go for was the Interrail Global Pass which allows us to travel on 7 days within a period of a month. 

We paid £240 each for these passes, however, they currently have 15% off all passes, which makes our pass only £198. They do often have discounts on their passes, so if when you go to buy them and they are not discounted, I would wait it out as long as possible to see if they become discounted. It saves a lot of money and every little helps! We learnt the hard way as a week after we booked our passes they were discounted 15%!

When our passes arrived we received a package which included our passes and travel diary, a guide, a map and also 2 interrail bracelets.   



This is were I will finish this first post in my new Interrail series. The next post in this series will be focusing on accommodation and budget. 
I really hope you enjoyed reading this post and are looking forward to reading future posts about my trip.

Thank you for reading, 
Siobhan McKerr x 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.